27563 - Sr. Vulnerability Engineer
Chicago, IL 60606 US
Sr Vulnerability Engineer is knowledgeable and provides support for detection, assessment, communication, and remediation coordination of security vulnerabilities. The incumbent must have knowledge of Linux/Windows server and application administration and configuration, networking, scripting and automation, distributed computing, cloud technologies, and security. Ability to work independently as well as communication, documentation, and strong problem-solving skills are required to collaborate with more senior engineers and select information technology areas, with supervision.
The Sr Vulnerability Engineer:
- Focuses on the detection, prioritization, and remediation of vulnerabilities in accordance with best practices.
- Supports information technology teams in remediating vulnerabilities and provides advanced troubleshooting.
- Assists with managing Qualys vulnerability scanning infrastructure to include configuring and scheduling scans, conducting ad-hoc scans, and creating reports.
- Uses JIRA ticketing system to manage vulnerability lifecycle and tracks SLA breaches.
- Leverages other enterprise tools such as Splunk, BMC Discovery, BMC CMDB, Snow to assist in assessing vulnerabilities and risk and maintaining an accurate asset inventory for complete scan coverage.
- Uses Archer GRC platform to manage vulnerability remediation risk exception process.
- Participates in the continuous improvement of the enterprise vulnerability management program.
- Has 5+ years of vulnerability management, systems engineering, or networking experience.
- Provides knowledge of best practices and known issues of vulnerability scanning and the associated services, schedules and reporting processes with some supervision.
- Provides support in evaluation and remediation of known vulnerabilities. Documents known issues, if necessary.
- Accurately defines problem statements of above average complexity. Gathers and compares data about problems, documents the details, and prepares analysis reports, seeking out all feasible alternatives. Prioritizes the alternatives and works out a plan for execution with supervision.
- Demonstrates understanding of most of the following: Linux/Windows server and application administration and configuration, networking, scripting and automation, large scale distributed computing architecture (client server, cloud, intranet/internet), hardware/operating system/application interaction, and security.
- Collaborates with other teams within the technology division to determine an optimal solution for stakeholders based on mainly known solutions.
- Provides technical advice to other teams within technology on known security solutions.
- Supports more senior engineers in gathering data to assist in setting policies.
- Recommends known alternatives to increase security for application configuration and environment build out for new projects.
- Stays up to date on security trends, vulnerability alerts and advisories.
Skills & Software Requirements:
- Linux/Windows administration and configuration
- Scripting (bash, Powershell)
- Basic networking
- Experience with vulnerability scanning tools (Qualys, Nessus, Rapid7, etc.)
- Familiarity with issue tracking systems (JIRA, Remedy, etc.)
- Familiarity with collaboration tools (Confluence, etc.)
Nice to Have:
- Industry certification (CompTIA, CISSP, CCSP, SSCP, etc.)
- Experience with container scanning technologies
- Experience with vulnerability management in GCP
- Java or Python programming experience
- Experience with Splunk, BMC Discovery, Snow, BMC CMDB