27657- Lead Software Engineer- Low Latency
Chicago, IL 60606 US
Location: Hybrid onsite in Chicago, New York, Houston, or Washington DC
The Lead Software Engineer role is responsible for leading a team that drives and executes the strategy for technology advances in Globex, our electronic trading platform.
This individual is responsible for leading projects for systems that must achieve a unique blend of ultra-low latency performance, the capacity to seamlessly facilitate the busiest trading days in the world economy, and rock-solid reliability and integrity, all while undergoing rapid release cycles.
Achieving these goals will require an understanding of both the underlying technology and the development, testing, and deployment life-cycle of the applications. The candidate must be able to solve problems creatively, communicate effectively, and possess the ability to lead others to achieve the critical mission of the team.
- Define key metrics driving code optimization and leads discussion of code reviews; Manages environment build deployments, release notes and build notices; Reviews code to proactively identify and mitigate potential issues and defects as well as identify solution problems and issues outside code.
- Conduct full system testing through tools and enterprise perspective.
- Exhibits language proficiency and independently writes application modules and unit tests as well as designs independently.
- Contributes to architectural discussions. Interprets and enforces architecture for a development team. Mentors developers and is influential within company division.
- Develops designs for all aspects of a project; Mentors seniors software engineers.
- Influences best practices development, contributing to process enhancements, and enforces best practices on project work.
- Proficient in SQL knowledge, intermediate in database modeling and skilled in database tuning.
- Oversees development of designs for all aspects of the application their team is responsible for delivering
- Oversees and manages work across multiple geographically distributed teams.
- Manages priorities across a diverse set of concurrent projects and initiatives.
- Some continued hands-on software development as needed (java or c++).
- 5-10+ years of Java or C++ experience, preferably in a low latency or financial services environment.
- Experience working with high throughput, high availability and fault tolerant applications.
- Strong analytical ability and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with a globally distributed workforce and managing tasks across multiple offices.
- Effective communication of complex problems in a clear and concise manner.
- Proficiency in statistics and performance modelling preferred.
- Ability to manage scalable teams of vendor contract consultants over long-term projects preferred.
- Knowledge of DevOps and Cloud computing preferred.