Chicago, IL 60607 US
Location: Chicago, IL- Hybrid
Duration: 12 months
- We are responsible for the calculation and billing of rents and service fees to franchisees and tenants, all lease related and real estate tax payment and accounting activities, and construction project and fixed asset accounting processes.
- This position involves the accounting for all leased properties within the U.S. portfolio (approx. 5,000 leases). Activities include, but are not limited to, ensuring the accuracy of landlord payments in accordance with the lease terms, and the related lease accounting schedules and account reconciliations for assigned field offices. Our key customers include the Market Finance and Development Teams, Asset Management, Franchising, Legal, and Corporate Tax.
• Maintain (update and review) lease payment schedules to ensure accuracy of fixed rent, percentage rent and CAM/Tax payments to landlords in accordance with the lease terms.
• Review statements received from landlords and analyze whether payment is due. Reconcile landlord billings for year cam/tax obligations for refund or payable.
• Generate and review payment batches to landlords and monthly close entries as required.
• Maintain (update and review) lease accounting schedules to ensure accuracy of monthly straight-line rent, amortization, and interest expense over the likely term.
• Perform lease classification test on new leases and amendments to determine whether lease is operating or finance, and the accurate recording of the right of use asset and lease liability.
• Perform monthly account analysis and reconciliations on assigned accounts (Ex. Prepaid Rent, Percentage Rent Accrual).
• Address customer inquiries from landlords, market finance, legal and asset management teams related to lease transactions.
• Ensure compliance with SOX and company policies for assigned lease accounting processes.
• Participate on special projects (Ex. Continuous Improvement/Automation Enhancements).
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance • At least 2 years of qualifying accounting work experience (focus on lease accounting a plus).
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a strong customer experience focus, to lead discussions with landlords and franchisees when applicable.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to understand and present variances with accounts.
• Continuous improvement mindset to enhance processes and maximize productivity.
• Computer proficiency in Excel, Word, and Power Point, with knowledge of Oracle and TRIRIGA a plus